Following up on my post Working in a toxic environment – The Clash of Personalities, here are my Top Ten Picks for Self Care:
- Take a walk – In your lunch break take a short walk. Decompress from the stress of the day.
- Don’t eat lunch with the crowd – If you can eat your lunch in your car, or on a bench outside or even your private office, do it! Being around the lunchroom chatter isn’t always a healthy way to spend your break.
- Exercise at the gym – Do you have a gym nearby? Sign up. Take 20 minutes to stretch, practice yoga, lift weights or walk on the treadmill a few days per week. This will shift your mind, body and spirit.
- Sit in the sun and listen to nature – If you have a park, roof-top deck, or anywhere to commune with nature then use it. This is a reminder to heal, be still and connect with something outside of yourself.
- Listen to music – Maybe you have the ability to quietly listen to music at your workplace. Find the website of your favourite radio station and connect to their audio. Wear one earbud (keeping the other ear free) and listen to tunes on your iPhone.
- Journal – Write about your thoughts, feelings and reactions. Journals help to clear the clutter from our mind.
- Breathe and shake it off – Take that breath. Shake out those muscle that clench from the pressure. Stay calm and carry on.
- Eat healthy – Stress on the job can either make you crave unhealthy comfort food or decrease your appetite. Feed your body properly and it will help you through the day.
- Acknowledge your accomplishments – When you are around toxic people or in a negative work environment what is said and felt can begin to take you over. Don’t let what has happened define you. Think about what you are proud of in life and work.
- Practice forgiveness – This extends to self and others. It will take some effort and is not intended to condone bad behaviour. Practiced well it can free you of the fear and anger that envelops your work relationships.